Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Back and crushing!

I'm in my new place, just getting settled, etc etc! It feels good! I've played a bit the last few days in some odd spots and since making some key adjustments in my game, namely to REALLY tighten up in the first two positions at the table, I've been spewing a lot less and winning at over 12 ptBB/100 for the last 4000 hands or so. So it's been nice!

I'm going to limit my hands to only two hands per post from now on because I think it's hard to really look over and comment on 5 hands or something, so here are two interesting ones:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1375581

The turn is a weird spot as I pick up the nut flush draw here but if I bet like I do and the short stack plays his hand correctly and shoves here I have a bad call to make but I hate to stick money in there and fold so is just checking here the best option or did I not play this terribly and get lucky?

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1375591

I assume preflop and flop is fine here. The turn I pick up a set on a drawy board and fire. Should I value bet the river to try and get a two pair hands to pay me off? Am I getting paid off by much here? If somebody shoves I have to fold? Weird spot.

Thanks guys, good to be back, I hope to post on your blogs ASAP. We also need to get a core group going, so whoever is looking for some regulars to read their blog let me know!

Pete

3 comments:

Gregory Lynn said...

1) I don't think you played it poorly at all. When it gets checked around on the flop and you were the preflop aggressor, I think a turn bet is very reasonable. The fact that you had to get lucky to win that hand doesn't mean you played it poorly, sometimes it means your opponent did and this is one of those times.

2) Sometimes you do get two pair to pay you off there but I don't know that it happens enough to make the bet profitable. So many people love suited connectors that a 9T holding isn't remotely surprising after the turn call. Now if the board were something like AQJ so the straight could only be made by KT or other non consecutive cards, then I'd be more likely to bet the river.

And I think that ultra tight in first two positions and much looser from last two is really one of the simplest, best pieces of advice to give a six max player.

losbert said...

Welcome back, hope everything went ok.

Hand 1, The result was ok but I don't think you played the hand that well. Did you not consider c-betting on the flop. With a paired board, I'd of been happy to have taken the hand there and then.

Hand 2, Tough spot, I had a similar hand a couple of days ago which I posted in that the turn made my set and also his straight. By not betting the flop your giving him a free card to make his draw. I think you lost the minimum as the hand played out. That being said, why he didn't reraise on the river I have no idea.

I'd be interested in getting a core group going on a similar lines to a similar group that a few of the guys have already set up - The UF2B Group who are a bit more advanced than me in there thinking but there blog is essential reading.

Good luck

DODGYKEN said...

Welcome back Pete! Nice to have you around again.

Hand 1: I think you played this fine. You can check the turn, but taking a stab is OK as well I think.

Hand 2: Again, I like the look of this. If they have a straight then so be it, and you should get paid off by worse enough to make these bets profitable. Nice of him not to raise.