Thursday, January 31, 2008

Still alive!

I haven't posted here in forever!

It's been a crazy last few months poker wise. November was my worst month ever as a player, as I broke even for the month with rakeback, meaning I actually lost a couple hundred bucks playing cash games. My confidence was ravaged, and I took the hit really badly. My Cardrunners membership expired and I didn't renew because I hadn't been taking the time to watch the videos and devote time to my game, and I was suffering. I decided to try and just grind out some profit in December playing tight in full ring and just being solid to get myself going again. I grinded out some profit but then had a day where I lost several buyins playing on Full Tilt and Cake and played some SNGs for the hell of it and won them. So then I suddenly decided that this short term variance meant I must play SNGs and they would be the key to my survival! I did well in them after reading Collin Moshman's 2+2 book and won about $900 in December playing a limited amount.

In January I kept playing SNGs and even joined SNG Icons. I also got a free subscription to Stox Poker through a Pocket Fives promotion. I played SNGs the first half of January to about a 10% ROI and modest profits at the 10's and 20's. But I could not stay away from the cash games and eventually returned. I vowed to dedicate myself to studying the game and fixing the leaks and flaws in my game as these limits (50NL) should be VERY beatable, even on Full Tilt! I watched several Stox videos my Cottonseen, Hunter Bick, and Leatherass and thought I identified several key leaks in my game. I returned to the tables and started to crush. I have had a great January, up around $2000 now not including rakeback. My goal each month is to make enough money to cover my wife and my car payment and save a little bit, which ends up being about $1000, so doubling that is obviously great to me.

I have since renewed my Cardrunners membership for another 6 months and have dedicated myself to improving my game, and watching both CR and Stox videos every week to improve, fix leaks, and keep making money. I have had a fun month, aside from the last two days which have been a bit of a downswing, but I have also been working on staying cool mentally when bad times come, and not just abandoning ship and taking up a new game! :)

I have learned a lot over the past few months and it feels good to put it into words. Thank you for reading.

Pete

3 comments:

LuckySOB said...

Keep up the hard work, it will pay off.

Noel said...

The man is alive. Welcome back! Peep where Dodgyken is now. Hard work pays.

AppleSeed2082 said...

haha, "The man is alive." Good to see you back and posting again.