Friday, June 8, 2007

Tough last few days...

The last three days have been pretty bad results wise. Three days ago I posted about dropping 2BI at 25NL. The next day I dropped a buyin and a half at 100NL taking a shot there, which really hurt me. I was down the whole session, rallied back to being down only $5 or so, and then lost it from there. I played 99 about as badly as you possibly can and lost half a buyin on that hand alone.

Today I played LHE and NLHE on Bodog 1/2 and 25NL. NLHE was meh, I played AK terribly and lost a huge pot with two pair against a flush where I called out of frustration when I couldn't beat anything and it was obvious he had me beat but I couldn't lay it down...but I made it back the next hand with QQ with an overshove representing tilt and I got called with A6ss. In LHE the cards were terrible, but all in all I'm down just over a buyin at my usual stakes (25NL).

I haven't been playing well lately and the only one at fault is me! I need to make better decisions, not spew as much with mediocre hands, not call out of frustration when I'm running badly, etc.

On the plus side I've read some great posts on the 2+2 forum by AEJones regarding figuring out hand ranges on the river and figuring out what hands to bet for value on the river as well. A great point he makes is that most of us bet our top 15% and bottom 10% of hands on the river...big hands and big bluffs. He argues we need to bet more of our pretty good hands on the river to get value from people that always think we're bluffing.

I've realized I have a long way to go in improving my post flop game and that I can't just run people over all the time with blind aggression, especially when you move up. Nobody gives you credit for a hand when you do the "standard" things anymore, it seems. (Button raise, c-bet, etc) I need to become more creative with my post flop play...well, maybe thoughtful and analytical is the better word.

I've also been reading more about 3-betting from the blinds vs button raises, putting more pressure on people with check raises on dry boards, etc. I think by thinking about my game like this it will help me get through these tough streaks, find leaks in my game, and ultimately make me a better and more profitable player.

Pete

P.S - I know to many of you losing 3-4 buyins over three days is nothing but I play a fairly low variance game and don't play a lot of hours so to me it seems bad, but I understand how this run isn't really that bad...I just wanted to still complain about it. :P

No comments: