Tuesday, July 3, 2007

JJ from the blinds...

At home so I thought I'd dig up two trouble hands from yesterday and post them here...they involve a similar spot, playing JJ from the blinds. I know I need to three bet from the blinds more often with this hand, but I fall into the trap of just smooth calling and making sure the flop brings low cards and that's pretty weak. Anyways, here are the hands:

Hand 1: http://www.pokerhand.org/?1230490

Oh man this is bad. Since I don't repop preflop I have no idea where I am postflop, so I'm playing tentatively OOP. Obv c/c the flop is pretty bad, do you guys like a lead here or a check/raise? I put his range at something like AQs, AK, 99-KK, very slightly AA possibility. He hadn't been getting out of line in his hands so I have to put him on one of those types of hands, very likely TT or QQ, even JJ. What do you think of his small river bet? Do I have to pay this off? What can I beat that bets that small? I butchered this, please help. I freeze up with a hand like JJ to an uncharacteristic large preflop raise.

Hand 2: http://www.pokerhand.org/?1230500

NOTE: My flop call of the check/raise was a misclick! Uggh. I hadn't decided what to do yet and accidentally clicked call, so that pretty much commited me I thought.

After I did that I just thought I'd get it all in and convinced myself maybe he had something I could beat...but I beat basically nothing, even the flush got there. My question is how do you respond to his turn check/raise that is so big? 3bet again preflop? How do you play a hand like this OOP against pressure on a raggy flop?

These hands make me look so awful...I am not always this bad I swear. :)

Thanks,

Pete

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Pokerhand.org does not seem to be working. I'll try later to check out your hands.

SHERIDAN said...

poker hand worked fine for me...

I agree with 3 betting JJ more from the blinds. I feel that by doing this you can figure out alot sooner where you are at in the hand. I also find it tough to play a hand like this from OOP

Unknown said...

Ok, working now.

Hand 1: I like a 3 bet PF. With a call though I would have c/r the flop, and c/f the turn if he's still in it. I like to c/r the flop a lot more than most when OOP. Think I'll write a post regarding this in the next few days. Everyone please check it out and comment on it.

Hand 2: Ditto.

losbert said...

For hand 1, I raise Pre flop and check raise the flop. I think I would have shut down on the turn especially with the K on the board and having met resistance already. I would expect the river bet would be a value bet crying out for a call.

For hand 2 I know it was a misclick but I think I would fold to a raise on the flop. I would definately check fold on the turn with the flush draw there. What were his Stats?

DODGYKEN said...

Hand 1: I think 3-betting pre-flop is the way to go - even if he is UTG. If he pushes you can fold. If he calls you can bet this flop and probably fold to a shove. As played I check-raise this flop. If he shoves I guess you have to fold. I'd fold the river there - there isn't much you beat.

Hand 2: Again, 3-bet pre-flop. I'd probably check-raise the flop rather than leading out. It's a stronger line and if he shoves you can fold. I prefer leading out with a stronger hand so if he raises you can shove.

Graham said...

I don't know what to say that you don't know and hasn't been said. 3-bet preflop. On the first hand, if you aren't going to 3-bet before the flop, I think you have to check/raise this flop.

AppleSeed2082 said...

hand 1.

the way you played it, I would fold to the river bet unless i had a solid read that he likes to make small river bluffs. Two overcards, and the 3 flush hitted on the river.

I agree with other posters. 3 bet on the bb, it makes pock J easier to play and better defines villains hand.

hand 2.

3 bet pf again.

Flop.

I like the lead bet and i'm pushing it all in after he reraises on the flop if he is a laggy player.

He could be doing this with a flush draw/str8 draw or tptk.

I may fold if he is taggish and a nit post flop.

Turn.

Not a bad play because the flush and str8 hit.

You were pretty much committed when you made the flop call though.

PGK said...

TY to all those who have responded here. I am going to do my best to post on your blogs and respond to your hands as well. Thanks for the input, you guys rock. :)

Pete

DWarrior said...

The two hands look almost identically to me, so I think they should both be check/raised on the flop.

I would be more inclined to lead here if there are a lot of worse hands that call me down without much chance of improvement, maybe like a paired board where lower pairs will call you. Unfortunately, it seems rarely the case with JJ. I'm more inclined to c/r when there are worse hands, like unpaired overcards, that will fold if I lead but bet if I check.

Obviously if villain is laggier and will bluff raise donk leads a lot, that changes things. However, we can't assume that given no stats/reads, and I think the frequency of that is decreased at micros. I haven't really noticed many people playing draws aggro when I did my script testing at 10nl.