Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Marginal

I made a really nice comeback yesterday and had a really strong day playing Full Tilt 25NL. I ran hot, but took a few beats too. The crazy thing is twice I got it all in with AA against another AA, once preflop and once on the flop, and both times I hit runner runner flushes to take the pot that should likely have split. If that goes the other way and I lose both of those I come on here complaining about having the worst luck in the world, etc etc. It's all variance...you just always have to keep that in mind!

Anyways, I posted yesterday about PAHUD helping my game. I think because I've played in games so far in my "poker career" that are so passive (Bodog 25NL) that playing big pot, reraised pots preflop is really hard for me. STacks are always at stake with any wrong decision. And I think PAHUD can help me with a few big decisions. Take this spot, for instance:

http://www.pokerhand.org/?1318725 Imagine that the player doesn't reraise to $9.95. Against that three bet what is my play? Just call and hit a set? What is his range? I hate marginal spots OOP and TT is so hard to play OOP unless you hit that set. Is his range tight enough that I know I'll get paid off if I hit? Is it loose enough that I should stick in a reraise herE? What should my line be? Without PAHUD I don't really know, so I just fold. Now with PAHUD I might still fold, but it's just the idea of having a reason behind some decisions that could lead to big pots. Hope that makes sense.

Pete

2 comments:

Gregory Lynn said...

If we ignore the ten dollar raise and pretend that you're pondering making that raise, then I think this is one of those situations where PAHUD might help, but only if you have datamined this guy a long time without playing him.

If you're going to put in a third of your stack then your next move is going to commit your whole stack. If he comes back over the top that's fine, you can confidently fold.

If he calls though, you're in a position where you've got a small pot hand in a big pot and you're out of position. That's a crappy position to be in.

You're basically forced to make an all in decision based on your preflop read and with TT I think that any villain I'm comfortable doing that against is going to be aggressive enough to be noticed without PAHUD.

I think PAHUD is more useful in determining your fold equity when three betting in position. The smaller their PFR the more likely they are to have a big pair and the less likely they are to fold. Also, the c-bet, call c-bet, raise c-bet, and fold to c-bet stats are handy in marginal c-betting situations.

I'm not saying PAHUD isn't worth the money, I really believe it is, but it's not a silver bullet and quite frankly you should probably be able to beat 25NL pretty handily without it.

25NL isn't beaten by maximizing your value in marginal situations. 25NL is beaten by getting good hands and crushing people with them.

It doesn't do much good to outthink people who aren't thinking and a lot of the people at 25NL aren't.

losbert said...

Firstly good luck with the house move and hope everything goes ok.

Regarding PAHUD I would tend to agree with what Raputin has said. It has won me alot of money but I've also lost hands against idiots with who usually play pretty much every hand and I don't believe them when they have a hand.