Monday, July 23, 2007

Theory discussion: Opening ranges

Today I'd like to get your guys' thoughts on opening ranges in 6-max games.

I was thinking about Noel's post on another blog where he talked about playing super tight in positions 1 and 2, and very loose in the CO and button. I started thinking and came up with a "hand chart" of what to open in each position that I thought is very tight early and very loose late:

UTG: All pairs, AKs-AJs, AKo, AQo
2: all above plus AJo, KQs, ATs
CO: all above plus KQ-KJo, all suited connectors, all suited aces
Button: All above plus any two cards two apart or connecting (i.e 24o, 35o, 56o, etc), and all suited cards. Also any ace.

What do you think of these opening ranges? Is the button range too loose? Is the UTG range too tight/loose? Should all pairs always be raised because of how much you get paid off with sets at this level?

What do you guys think about mixing up an occasional suited connector raise UTG (very rarely) in order to "vary your range"? Is that even worth doing or do opponents at this level not even think about our possible holdings, making it not worth it?

Finally, how would you adjust your CO/Button opening range depending on limpers in front of you in the pot? My range above is assuming it's folded to me in each position.

What would you put your current range at? (Mine is slightly tighter than this as I don't open quite that loosely on the button but close)

Any discussion on the subject would be welcome!

Pete

3 comments:

Noel said...

My vpip is 10 in UTG and 12 in MP this month as I said I am really tightening the screws early also my SB is 16. From those two spots I vary my play based on table dynamics but my range is generally any PP AJs and up KQs. I always throw in a SC if I have been playing real nitty something like JT or 89. Position is such a huge part of my game that I hate to get involved with marginal hands in big pots OOP. Also because my range is so gigantic on the button, I mean any two suited, 3 gappers. I open a lot of trash, which gets me action when I open in ealy position with my bigger hands because villians dont see the position they just see the cards. Hope this helps.

robracing said...

What does this range lead to, in terms of VPIP and PFR Pete?

I run at 20% VPIP and 15% PFR, but I am a bit looser that you in EP and quite a bit tighter than you in LP.

I open with AJo, KQs and KQo UTG, but I don't play any suited cards, "just coz they're suited" in LP. I would also never open trash like 24o or 24s. Minimum for me OTB would be 76s.

However, I am intrigued by Noel's comment above about the fact that showing down crap in LP, guarantees you action when you open your monsters in EP. Sounds like very good sense!

HighSteaks said...

If I think a hand is at least EV nuetral in any given situation then I'll play it to keep up my image to not look too rockish. I think the occasional suited connector from EP is not going to cost anything EV wise when the right spot is picked and is great for image when shown down etc so I often play those. As far as 24o etc goes, down to 65 is as far as I go, simply because you can even pick up the odd pot vs A3s type hands when your pair gets there, and I hate the table image I end up with when a hand like 24o gets seen by the table, I find you can get played back at sometimes in subsequent hands when you don't necessarily want the heat.